Translate

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Practicing the Fiddle

 One of my greatest passions in life is playing music.  I can play thirteen different types of instruments, most of which I have learned in the last decade.  When I was in fourth grade, I played the violin in the orchestra, but stopped when I got to the fifth grade.  Last September, I decided to take up the fiddle.  They are the same type of instrument, played with different styles.  The violin/fiddle has the distinction of being one of my earliest, and latest instruments, because after all these years, I had to learn everything again.
 I start my practice session by getting my fiddle out of the case, and tuning it.  The large tuners by the scroll (on the left) are very good, so I usually just use the fine tuners located on the other side of the bridge.  The strings are tuned to G, D, A, and E.  When I first took up the mandolin (which has the same tuning), I made up a mnemonic device to remember the notes: Good Day All Elves.
 Next I get the bow ready.  I tighten the horse hairs just enough to play right, using the screw next to the frog at the base of the bow.

I then check to make sure there is enough rosin on the bow.  The rosin is made in large part out of tree sap, and makes it so the horse hairs grab the instrument stings enough to make a sound.  Without rosin, the bow will not work.  To apply it, I scratch the rosin block with the screw on the bow, and rub the horse hairs over it.

 My warm up consists of a couple of simple tunes that get me off to a good start, and build my confidence.  Often times, it is a medley of Boil 'em Cabbage Down, and Shortnin' Bread.

When warmed up, I will do some drills to help me with my technique.  These drills mainly help with bowing, but can also be beneficial with my left hand as well.  Sometimes, the drills are done early in the session, and sometimes later.  It all depends on how I sound.  I might do my bowing drills if hear squeaking, or have a bow bounce.  Different drills will help solve both problems.

In the course of my practice, I like to do some simple songs to build confidence and work on technique, as well as some more difficult songs to challenge myself and help me feel like I am advancing.  When I first started playing, there was no way I could even attempt a song called The Irish Washerwoman.  Now I can play it with reasonable proficiency, and as I advance, can add even more fiddling techniques.  A big part of fiddling is taking the original tune, and giving it various improvisational flourishes such as slides and drones.

After living on the Gunflint Trail for over fourteen years, I finally got a fast internet connection.  There are a lot of videos online that assist in learning an instrument.  I have found several teachers that I enjoy, and do their lessons from time to time.

I also have several books, and one DVD for learning the fiddle.  The first book I use is Fiddling for Dummies, and I also use the American Fiddle Method book and DVD.  Both those resources have helped me a lot in the last few months.

I try to sight read at least one song per session if time permits.  This has the duel purpose of challenging me, and introducing me to new material.

When the time comes for me to finish my practice, I wipe down the fiddle, and put it in its' case.  The instrument must be wiped down because the sticky rosin dust can build up on the wood and strings over time, making it harder to play, and possibly damaging the finish.
I secure the fiddle in the case, and cover it with a it's blanket.  It almost feels like I'm putting a child or pet to bed.  I put away the cleaning cloth, tuner, and shoulder rest, and then shut the case.

The last thing I do is enter the practice time in my log.  I try to average at least thirty minutes of practice per day over the course of each month.  Some days I practice five minutes, and sometimes it is over an hour.  I'm sure to play a little every day, which is very good for the instrument as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment