Translate

Tuesday, May 17, 2022

May 15, 2022 Full Lunar Eclipse

 I spent most of my day hosting radio shows on WTIP.  My Dad had told me about the eclipse the night before, so I was looking forward to seeing it at the end of my Classic Country show.

When I was reading the weather forecasts throughout the day, it was calling for cloudy weather in the evening, and I was seeing a lot of clouds coming in through the windows of Studio B. I was also sent a message from my home on the Gunflint Trail that it was cloudy there.

It was a nice surprise when one of my friends in Grand Marais texted me that the clouds were clearing and the Moon was coming up.  While I was loading my car, I could see the Moon rising behind the trees, and it was partially cloudy.  My boxer Ellie and I then went for a walk to the end of Artist Point in Grand Marais, and were able to see the eclipse through the clear spots in the sky.

We stopped again at the Pincushion Mountain Overlook parking lot above Grand Marais for another viewing.  It was quite beautiful at that point.

On the way up the Gunflint Trail, I could see clear skies, and a very eclipsed Moon.  I stopped at several points to get pictures, and eventually arrived back at Gunflint Lake.

At that point, I found another person who wanted to see the eclipse, and we headed out to find a good viewing spot.  Our last stop was at the Gunflint Lake Public Landing, where we noticed that there was an eclipse in one direction and a faint showing of the Northern Lights in another direction.  We couldn't have asked for more amazing sights, and the loons calling in the distance were an added bonus.

Eclipse over Artist Point

Eclipse over Lake Superior

Full Eclipse

Nearly Full Eclipse

End of the Eclipse with a Moon Bow - Gunflint Lake, MN


No comments:

Post a Comment