Translate

Saturday, September 30, 2017

Kadunce River Trail

Last Monday, I decided to bicycle along the North Shore starting at the Kadunce River Wayside. After 20 miles on the bike, I decided to hike inland from the wayside on the Superior Hiking Trail.  In all the years I have been in Cook County, I have stopped many times at the wayside and hiked along the shore, but have never hiked inland along the river.  I found it to be a very pleasant surprise.

The trail followed a narrow, but steep gorge with lush vegetation up to a scenic bridge crossing.  There were multiple waterfalls as the river made its way to Lake Superior.  The gurgling of the river made for a very relaxing hike.

After crossing the bridge, I turned around and headed back to the wayside.  There were people along the way photographing the beautiful scenery along the trail, and we talked about how Cook County was such a great community.  Some of the great aspects we talked about were the WTIP radio station, and the Gunflint Trail Volunteer Fire department, both of which one of the photographers and his wife support.

Upon reaching Lake Superior, I walked along the beach, and took some pictures of the shoreline and the river.  I also got a nice look at some Lapland Longspurs, which were species number 116
in my Big Year (see my other blog).

Kadunce River
Lapland Longpurs Calcarius lapponicus)
Lapland Longpurs Calcarius lapponicus)

No comments:

Post a Comment